May 12, 2014
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in the PeaceJam Foundation ("PeaceJam", "we," or "us") and our website at
billionacts.org (the "Site"), as well as all related One Billion Acts of Peace ("1BAOP")
websites, networks, embeddable widgets, downloadable software, mobile applications (including tablet applications), and other services provided
This Policy describes the information that we gather from you on the 1BAOP Service, how we use and disclose such information, and the steps we take to protect such information. By using the1BAOP Service, you consent to the privacy practices described in this Policy.
The information we collect on the 1BOAP Service:
User-provided Information. When you use the 1BAOP Service, you may provide and we may collect what is generally called "personally identifiable" information, or
"personal information," which is information that specifically identifies an individual. Examples of personal information include your name, email address,
mailing address, mobile phone number, and credit card or other billing information. Personal information also includes other information, such as date of
birth, geographic area, or preferences, when such information is linked to information that identifies a specific individual. You may provide us with personal
information in various ways on the 1BAOP Service. For example, you provide us with personal information when you register for an account, use the 1BAOP Service,
post User Content, make a purchase or donation on the 1BAOP Service, interact with other users of the 1BAOP Service through any communication features we have
now or may implement, or otherwise contact PeaceJam. Information you provide on other PeaceJam websites or through other PeaceJam services may also be used on
the 1BAOP Service to facilitate your registration for and access to the 1BAOP Service.
"Cookies" Information. When you use the 1BAOP Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric
characters – to your device. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser.
A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the 1BAOP Service. Please
review your web browser "Help" file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not
to accept, cookies from the 1BAOP Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the 1BAOP Service to their fullest potential.
"Automatically Collected" Information. When you use the 1BAOP Service, we may automatically record certain information from your
device by using various types of technology, including "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This "automatically collected" information
may include your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser type, device type, the web pages or sites that you visit
just before or just after you use the 1BAOP Service, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on the 1BAOP
Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the 1BAOP Service. We also may use these technologies to collect
information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message. This
information is gathered from all users.
Third Party Web Beacons and Third Party Buttons. We may also implement third-party content or advertising on the 1BAOP Service that
may use clear gifs or other forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser
in connection with your viewing of the third party content on the 1BAOP Service. Additionally, we may implement third party buttons
(such as Facebook "like" or "share" buttons) that may allow third parties to collect information about you through such
third parties’ browser cookies, even when you do not interact with the button. Information collected through web beacons and buttons
is collected directly by these third parties, and PeaceJam does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by
a third party in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies. Some browsers
incorporate a "Do Not Track" (DNT) feature that, when turned on, signals to websites and online services that you do not want
to be tracked. Because there is not yet an accepted standard for how to respond to browser DNT signals, we do not currently respond
Integrated Services. You may be given the option to access or register for the 1BAOP Service through the use of your user name
and passwords for certain services provided by third parties (each, an "Integrated Service"), such as through the use of your
Facebook credentials, or otherwise have the option to authorize an Integrated Service to provide personal information or other information
to us. By authorizing us to connect with an Integrated Service, you authorize us to access and store your name, email address(es), date of
birth, gender, current city, profile picture URL, and other information that the Integrated Service makes available to us, and to use and
disclose it in accordance with this Policy. You should check your privacy settings on each Integrated Service to understand and change the
before using their services and connecting to the 1BAOP Service.
Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information, including personal information, from sources other than the 1BAOP Service, including from other PeaceJam websites and associated services, any partners, advertisers, or Integrated Services. If we combine or associate information from other sources with personal information that we collect through the 1BAOP Service, we will treat the combined information as personal information in accordance with this Policy for any use in relation to the 1BAOP Service.
How we use the information we collect. We use information we collect on the 1BAOP Service in a variety of ways, including the following:
- We use the information that we collect on the 1BAOP Service to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the 1BAOP Service, to provide services and information that you request, to respond to comments and questions and otherwise to provide support to users, and to process and deliver entries and rewards in connection with promotions or contests that may be offered from time to time on the 1BAOP Service or other PeaceJam services. We may also use your information, or any User Content you choose to upload to the 1BAOP Service, in connection with other PeaceJam sites, services, or campaigns.
- We use the information that we collect on the 1BAOP Service to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the 1BAOP Service and other PeaceJam services, and to develop new services and features.
- We may use your email address or other information we collect on the 1BAOP Service to contact you for administrative purposes (including to update you regarding changes to the 1BAOP Service), and to address intellectual property infringement, right of privacy violations or defamation issues related to your User Content posted on the 1BAOP Service. We may also contact you to with updates on other PeaceJam campaigns, sites, promotions, and events, and with information relating to third parties we work with. Generally, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving these non-administrative communications as described below under "Your Choices."
- We may use "cookies" information and "automatically collected" information we collect on the 1BAOP Service to: (i) personalize our services, including to remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the 1BAOP Service; (ii) provide customized content and information; (iii) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the 1BAOP Service and any third-party activities on the 1BAOP Service; (iv) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (v) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities on the 1BAOP Service.
When we disclose information. Except as described in this Policy, we will not disclose your information to third parties without your consent. We may disclose information to third parties if you consent to us doing so, as well as in the following circumstances:
- Any information that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area of the 1BAOP Service, such as on a public profile page or through a post regarding an Act of Peace, will be available to anyone who has access to that content.
- We work with third party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. Generally, we limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions.
- We may make certain automatically-collected, aggregated, or otherwise non-personally-identifiable information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through PeaceJam services.
- We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activities, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of PeaceJam services and any facilities or equipment used to make the 1BAOP Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Information about our users, including personal information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our assets.
You may, of course, decline to share certain personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the
Should you wish to edit your information, or have it permanently deleted, please contact PeaceJam at mailto:email@example.com.
If you wish to access or amend any other personal information we hold about you, or to request that we delete any information about you that we have obtained from an
Integrated Service, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that while any changes you make will be reflected in active user databases
instantly or within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics,
satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
If you receive non-administrative email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email. You may also opt-out from receiving non-administrative email from us, and any other promotional communications that we may send to you from time to time, by sending your request to us by email at email@example.com or by writing to us at the address given at the end of this policy. We may allow you to view and modify settings relating to the nature and frequency of non-administrative communications that you receive from us in user account functionality on the 1BAOP Service.
Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving non-administrative email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may receive communications from us that you have opted-out from during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving non-administrative messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages regarding the 1BAOP Service.
The 1BAOP Service may contain features or links to other websites and services provided by third parties. Any information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services and is subject to those operators’ policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the 1BAOP Service. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the 1BAOP Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important to PeaceJam. Our 1BAOP Service is not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 on the 1BAOP Service without obtaining parental consent. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the 1BAOP Service at any time or in any manner. If we learn that personally identifiable information has been collected on the 1BAOP Service from persons under 13 years of age and without verifiable parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years of age has obtained an account on the 1BAOP Service, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that we delete that child’s personally identifiable information from our systems.
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards in an effort to protect the integrity and security of the personal information that we collect and maintain. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the 1BAOP Service or other PeaceJam websites, and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit access to certain personal information, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on the 1BAOP Service. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share your information. Further, even after information posted on the 1BAOP Service is removed, caching and archiving services may have saved that information, and other users or third parties may have copied or stored the information available on the 1BAOP Service. We cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on or transmit to the 1BAOP Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
The 1BAOP Service is hosted in the United States. If you choose to use the 1BAOP Service from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the 1BAOP Service or other PeaceJam websites and services. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the 1BAOP Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Changes and Updates to this Policy
Please revisit this page periodically to stay aware of any changes to this Policy, which we may update from time to time. If we modify this Policy, we will make it available through the 1BAOP Service, and indicate the date of the latest revision. In the event that the modifications materially alter your rights or obligations hereunder, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of the change. For example, we may send a message to your email address, if we have one on file, or generate a pop-up or similar notification when you access the 1BAOP Service for the first time after such material changes are made. Your continued use of the 1BAOP Service after the revised Policy has become effective indicates that you have read, understood and agreed to the current version of this Policy.
Our Contact Information
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your personal information, our use and disclosure practices, or your consent choices by email at email@example.com.
11200 Ralston Road
Arvada, CO 80004